Public Building Energy Assessment

Public Building Energy Assessment

From this year (2013) public buildings of more than 500 square metres of floor-space need to have a Display Energy Certificates (DECs) setting out their annual carbon dioxide emissions and comparing their energy efficiency to properties of the same kind.

The Advisory Report details a range of possible measures that might be implemented to improve the energy performance of the property. Display Energy Certificates and Advisory Reports can only be prepared by qualified and accredited Public Buildings Energy Assessors.

Display Energy Certificate

Display Energy Certificates are only required for certain buildings. By law, DEC’s must be on display in these buildings if they have a total useful floor area over 500m2 and are occupied by a public authority, or an institution providing a public service and therefore visited by the public.

Display Energy Certificates are based on actual energy consumption, as shown from meter readings and other fuel consumption. The DEC must show the certificate reference number, the address of the building, the name of the Energy Assessor, trading name, the name of the suitably qualified Non Domestic Energy Assessors’ recognised Accreditation and the date when the DEC was issued.

Display Energy Certificates must be renewed after one year, though the accompanying Advisory Report lasts seven years.

These certificates must be displayed so they are clearly visible to the visiting public. And the information they contain is also stored on the Non-Domestic Energy Performance Certificate Register

Joomla SEF URLs by Artio